Our History

Our Story

Over the Years

In the more than 135 years of the church’s existence, West Erwin has been blessed with strong leadership in preachers and dedicated elders who have served the church.

Our Ministers Through the Years

  • Truman Ethridge
  • J.P. Nall
  • Bynum Black
  • W.F. Lemons
  • Bill Richardson
  • Cled Wallace
  • Jim Dunn
  • Jasper Dunn
  • E.C. McKenzie
  • W.D. Metcalf
  • Harvey Scott (1935)
  • Alonzo Williams (1938 – 1940)
  • T.B. Thompson (1940 – 1947)
  • Harvey Arnold
  • L.L. Gieger (1951 – 1958)
  • Dean Brookshire (1958 – 1968)
  • George Stephenson (1968 – 1981)
  • Perry Hall (1981 – 1984)
  • Jay Lockhart (1984 – 2007)
  • Mike Baker (2007 – 2010)
  • Jason Reeves (2011 – 2014)
  • Bill Allen (2015 – Current)
West Erwin Building


Tyler Church of Christ began meeting south of town in Grange Hall. After meeting in several other locations, the church purchased property on Mary Street (now South Chilton) at the turn of the century. Membership grew from 75 to 200 members and continued to increase.

First Permanent Building

The first permanent brick building with classrooms was built with an auditorium to accommodate seating for 400 members. Generous support through prayer and financial means helped this dream come to fruition.

Lake Park Church

Lake Park Church began as part of a church planting of the West Erwin Church of Christ.

Glenwood Church

The Glenwood church began on July 1, 1951 as a church planting of the West Erwin Church of Christ.

Jay Lockhart / “A New Beginning”

Jay Lockhart became the pulpit minister and would serve for 23 years until 2007.  The theme “A New Beginning,” would initiate great things at West Erwin.  Dr. Jay Lockhart preached regularly over radio and a 30 minute TV program, THE SEARCH, which aired each Sunday.

Additional Property

The Oge Oldsmobile property became available for purchase, the elders made the decision to purchase the property. This property later became the Family Life Center in 1998 and is used for many activities.



West Erwin had its first “Homecoming when our new 1000 seat auditorium was opened with 952 in attendance.


Benevolence Center

A new Benevolence Center was built at 215 S. Bonner to house our benevolence program. At that time, our old benevolence building was renovated to make new office and classrooms.

Mike Baker

Mike Baker served as the preaching minister from 2007-2010.

Jason Reeves / “Imagine”

In July of 2011, Jason Reeves came to West Erwin to serve as our preaching minister. The theme of 2012 was “Imagine” – centered on the words of Ephesians 3:20:

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.

The building at 415 West Erwin was purchased to serve the Hispanic congregation.


“Believe. Connect. Serve.”

As a church, West Erwin created a new theme and vision, “Believe. Connect. Serve.”

Bill Allen

Our Hispanic congregation moved into their own facility on Glenwood in Tyler.

Dr. Bill Allen came to us in July from North Carolina as our preaching minister.

The building at 415 West Erwin was modified for our teenagers. The building is referred to as “The Lighthouse”.


Children’s Wing

West Erwin opened its new children’s wing. One of the major advantages of this renovation is that parents now bring their children, infants thru 5th graders, to be checked in to our ‘Kids Zone’, now a very safe and inviting environment.